This is the start of a new blog. Here lies before me a blank page, a fresh start, a new look on life. Life is a crazy beast of a thing. One second you think it's trajectory to be one way, and in mere seconds it can drastically change to something completely different. This is something I've come to realize as of late. I thought my life was going towards great and fantastic things, and then one phone call changed all of that. I don't really know what I'm doing anymore. Not really sure where the road I'm walking down is going. Sometimes I don't even feel like I am walking down a path. I feel halted, I feel like my heels are dug in the ground and no matter how much my head says "come on let's keep going" my heart retorts "NOPE!". Sometimes I wish I could just cut out my heart like Will Turner...except then I'd have to be the captain of the Flying Dutchman...eh :/
I'm in an American lit class this semester. Surprisingly, I'm actually starting to like American literature. Go figure! Our professor has been talking a lot about our final paper since we only have a little bit of time left in the semester. And this week he talked about the importance of drafting. His words are what inspired me to start writing again. Sometimes you just have to write. What you write could be the dumbest of words, they could mean absolutely nothing, but sometimes you just have to write. He said there are times in life when we don't know what we want to write and the best thing to do to figure it out is to write. Well, thank you, Prof. I take your advice, not merely in regards to writing but also in the full scope of life. Yes, sure, I've been writing a lot so as to find out what I want to write my paper on in his class. But writing helps us to know what we want. My thoughts are so much clearer down on paper, or rather, in Times New Roman :D
I don't know what I want anymore. I don't really even know who I am anymore. Sometimes I look in the mirror in wonderment at what I've become. Sometimes I look in the mirror with disgust. I'm not pleased. Why are my heels dug in the dirt?! Why am I not going anywhere right now. Why can't I move past this?! Why can't I move past you?! That's why I write. I'm not happy with who I've become. I want to be the best I can be. I want to be able to go where I need to go and do what I need to do. I want to do great things. I wanted to know what direction I should be headed in. Instead, I'm still sort of lost. Not entirely lost, mind you. I still have a basic idea of what I would like to do. But right now I'm lost in the dark and the only thing I have guiding me is a single candle. I can see a little in front of me, but not much. And I live in constant fear that my candle might burn out.
You're probably wondering about the URL and the title of this blog, "Let's begin at the end" and "Certain Breaths You Can't Retract". They are lyrics to one of my favorite songs, "Deep Cuts" by Cataldo. Here are the rest of the lyrics:
Let’s begin at the end of a bad year with bad things at my back. a tragic truth i’ve been slow in
learning is there are certain breaths you simply can’t retract. every deep cut, every back beat every
sound i send into the street still living on display, ricocheting off of walls and drop ceilings the songs i
spend on her never stop repeating but so it goes, these blunt punches sting but they’re just glancing
blows searching for the heart of a thing this snapshot’s all i can provide of a wet beach, a dry beach not
shifting of the tide every deep cut, every back beat every sound i send into the street still living on
display, ricocheting off of walls and drop ceilings. the songs i spend on her never stop revealing the songs i spend on her never stop repeating
I too am beginning again.....last year didn't end on such happy terms, nor did this year begin on them. Life hasn't been the greatest lately. And I have no one to blame but myself. I often ruin things because of my rashness. My best friend once said that my greatest flaw is that I don't realize that the stove is hot until I've put my hand on it. And he's right. I'm never going to learn to stop unless I go through the excruciating pain of having my hand completely and utterly burnt. My whole life I've been this way, but my whole life I've always been able to give excuses and get out of trouble. This is the first time in my life that I've actually had to look at my scorched hand and actually take responsibility for it. There's no putting a bandaid over it this time. Just like in the song, "the tragic truth I've been slow to learning is there are certain breaths you simply can't retract." I have used and abused with my words far too often. I have hurt people and cut people with my words. There are things I regret more than anything, things I've said that I wish I could take back but I can't. The words I've said echo in the minds of some of the people I love most but hurt the most. The times I took my own failures and insecurities out on others, the times I said "I hate you", these are the words that people will remember me for. It doesn't matter how many time you tell someone you love them, if you but once tell them you hate them, those are the words that will keep them up at night.
This blog is a turning point for me. It begins at the end of a chapter in my life, it begins with me broken and lost. And it begins with a promise: never will a vain word be written hear. Never will hatred or empty and pointless words be present here. Because there are certain words you can't retract. And I for one, have already said too much. I for one, have already sent too many into the air to ricochet off walls. Never will it happen here. I'm not content with being the same person I was a month ago. This is the beginning of who I am. I don't know where I'm going. I don't know what I want. But I know that I'm going to be the best I can be. I know I'm going to move on. And I know that I'm going to do great things in spite of everything. So here we go. Let's begin at the end...
No comments:
Post a Comment